Thursday, May 17, 2012

It’s a GIRL!

Last Wednesday the day FINALLY arrived for the anatomy scan (gender ultrasound) of our baby! For weeks we have waited in anticipation. Hoping and praying that Mini Mash would cooperate and be in a good position. Imagine my shock when the ultrasound technician put the probe on my abdomen and says, “Oh this baby is in a worst position than my last one!” Mini Mash was all curled up in a ball sleeping but not for long. I think the jabbing probe on my abdomen woke Sleeping Beauty up. Seconds later she flipped around and stretched out. And it was then that the technician said, “It’s a Girl!” She knew right away. I’ll never forget that moment. Tears welled up in my eyes as I gazed at my little miracle. She is perfect. My Evelyn Rose. All 7 inches of her. With 10 little fingers and 10 tiny toes. The ultrasound was amazing. We could see every vertebrae in her spine, the ventricles in her brain, her kidneys, stomach and liver, the four chambers of her heart beating at 150 beats/minute, and every little bone in her arms and legs. She put a show on for us for 30 uninterrupted minutes! Waving her hands and opening/closing her mouth.

The ultrasound technician told Matt and I that everything looked good on the ultrasound and sent us home with 8 pictures of Evelyn. Most are of her profile and little hands up near her face.

Afterwards, Matt and I went out to breakfast and talked about our little girl. The plans we have for her, the nursery and all the baby goods needed for our little princess. The next few hours were spent researching different baby items and finalizing the registry while trying to get a hold of family members to tell them the news! And to tell them her name. For awhile Matt and I agreed we would keep it to ourselves until she was born but after the ultrasound we decided to share it. We love her name and couldn’t keep it a secret any longer. We had both a girl and boy name picked out. They were decided months ago. I found the name Evelyn in a baby name book and immediately liked it.  It’s not a name you hear often (but is growing in popularity). In Hebrew Evelyn means Life. In Celtic origin Evelyn means Light. In English origin Evelyn means Desired. And in French origin Evelyn means Little Bird. Agreeing on baby names was not difficult at all for us. I had had a baby name list for years that I just added on to when I found a name I liked. We went over the list together and would almost immediately cross names off the list. The name Evelyn stood out to us and we both agreed that that was it! Days later the middle name Rose was decided upon.  We had our baby girl name! I think it’s beautiful. I can’t wait to meet her.

In other pregnancy news, I am in my 21st week. Evelyn weighs about 10.2 ounces and is the size of a banana. She has working taste buds and is gulping down several ounces of amniotic fluid each day. In the last week I have felt a significant increase in her kicks.  And learned that she’ll wake up and start kicking if I’m shopping or eating a Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger! hahaha. Princess knows what she likes.  I have been craving JBCs for weeks. I also crave fruit and guacamole. Not together of course! At my OB appointment last week  I am measuring right on track, my weight gain is where it should be. In the next few weeks I have the dreaded 1 hr glucose test to look forward to. I am praying I pass it. Tomorrow morning I get to see my little Evie again at my study appointment. They will do an ultrasound to look specifically at the placenta. And get a blood sample and answer a bunch of questionnaires. I’m looking forward to it! I’ll take any excuse to see Evie.

I’m going to be very busy in the next few months preparing for her arrival.  But in the next few weeks I hope to complete a couple DIY projects for her room. Happy Crafting!

 

No comments: