Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What’s on your reading list

This time of year I like to put my summer reading list together. With all the rain we’ve been having it’s easy to cuddle up on the couch with a cup of tea and a good read.  Tonight is no different! I’ve had my Nook Color for a couple months and thanks to my hubby, I finally have a library e-book on it.  This is so exciting. My entire e-book wish list is now plugged into the library’s e-book network.  Currently I am reading ‘Girl in Translation’ by Jean Kwok.  I’m enjoying it so far.

Another book on my reading list is ‘One Day’ by David Nicholls. I started reading it a couple months ago and couldn’t get into it. But now that it’s being made into a movie with Anne Hathaway as the main lead I figure I should give it another try. Especially because I will likely see the movie. If there’s a book that a movie is based on, I will try to read the book first.

Have you  read ‘The Help’ by Kathryn Stockett? With all the hype surrounding this book, I was really disappointed. The plot was powerful and intriguing but the main character had some flaws that weren’t ‘believable’ to me. This book has a big following so it’s no surprise that it’s also being made into a movie.

‘The Hunger Games’ book trilogy is a young adult series with a wide audience. I’m so thrilled these books are being made into movies. The trilogy has a huge following. Think Twilight! The actors  have been selected and rehearsals have started (according to the Ryan Seacrest radio show).

Books have the power to reach inside you and bring out your imagination.  Reading broadens your mind.  I can become so enthralled in a story or a character that I imagine them in real life acting out a situation. I know that sounds crazy. I’m always surprised when I hear people say ‘I hate reading’ or ‘ I haven’t read a book since required high school reading’. That’s sad.

Here’s a short list of my summer reading

  • The Violets of March by Sarah Jio
  • Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay
  • Up from the Blue by Susan Henderson
  • A Homemade Life by Molly Wizenberg
  • Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
  • A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
  • Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

What are you reading?

Check out this library room!

Image from blog.hgtv.com via  Pinterest

2 comments:

Crystal said...

the only book that ive read from your list is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It was good!! It takes a little bit to get into it though. I'll have to look up the other ones!

Ashley said...

You commented!! :D Yes definitely check out the other reads.