Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baby (food) Face

A little over a month ago, Evie got her first taste of solid food. I started her on rice cereal for a few weeks so she could develop some fine motor skills with using a spoon. She tolerated the cereal. It certainly wasn't her favorite. Next, she tasted mashed avocado (she liked it better). Then, a few days later she tried pureed carrots. At first she wasn't a fan but now a few weeks later she'll take a few bites. A few days after the carrots, she tried pureed sweet potato. It's her favorite so far. Yesterday, she had pureed pear. She definitely enjoyed the sweetness and different texture. She has also had banana in her little mesh feeder. Little Miss Independent likes to feed herself. So the mesh feeder is lots of fun for her. 
The transition to solid foods hasn't been as exciting as I had anticipated. We've been taking it slow and letting Evie lead the way to weaning. This conservative approach suits me as I'm in no hurry to wean her. She breastfeeds 6 times a day. On a typical day, she'll wake up and nurse then have "breakfast" with me. In the afternoon she'll have another meal of pureed veggies or fruits. In the next month I hope to get her up to 3 meals a day. Whatever she eats above and beyond her nursing sessions is just a fun bonus. Right now, I just want her to be introduced to new foods and learn how to spoon feed. She's doing great!

















No comments: